Monday, April 13, 2009

Spring Totes





I had been looking for a fun spring project when I came across this tote tutorial on Homemade by Jill (a MUST VISIT blog). This simple design is very functional. As you can see, I've borrowed Jill's pattern and modified it a bit. Here are my first two attempts.

For the first bag, I used Orla Keily hand towels from Target (orange, brown, flower pattern) as was suggested by Jill. Perfect size--perfect texture. For the second, I made a trip to the fabric store for a vibrant floral. I lucked out and found a nice complementary polka dot fabric for the inside.

The only thing I felt this design was missing was pockets, so I added a couple to the inside of the second bag. I also tacked in a fob to hold keys (I hate when mine get lost in the bottom of my bag). And since I always enjoy embellishments, I decided to polish off the pieces with decorative tags. I took a cute flower tag from one of the Orla Keily towels and used it to give the chocolate brown bag a designer feel. For the other bag, I folded over a piece of pretty ribbon and fashioned my own tag.

I can't wait to make more totes!

2 comments:

  1. These are fabulous! I can't wait to use mine! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. jill ann stewartMay 2, 2009 at 3:53 AM

    These are adoreable !! Would be great for a grandmothers baby bag too.

    ReplyDelete